SRTM30_PLUS Global Topography
30 arc-second global topography
Land data are based on the 1-km averages of topography derived from the USGS SRTM30 grided DEM data product created with data from the NASA Shuttle Radar Topography Mission. GTOPO30 data are used for high latitudes where SRTM data are not available.
Ocean data are based on the Smith and Sandwell global 1-minute grid between latitudes +/- 81 degrees. Higher resolution grids have been added from the LDEO Ridge Multibeam Synthesis Project, the JAMSTEC Data Site for Research Cruises, and the NGDC Coastal Relief Model. Arctic bathymetry is from the International Bathymetric Chart of the Oceans (IBCAO)
- Metadata: ftp://topex.ucsd.edu/pub/srtm30_plus/README.V5.0.txt
- Spatial Resolution: 30 arc-second
- Extent: Global
- Temporal Resolution: N/A
- Date Range: 09/2008
- Format(s): JPEG tiles, ER Mapper
- CoML visualization guidance: TBD
Download the full resolution ER Mapper file and visualize with ArcGIS 9.2
- Data Download: ftp://topex.ucsd.edu/pub/srtm30_plus/topo30/topo30 (large file ~1.8GB) and associated header file ftp://topex.ucsd.edu/pub/srtm30_plus/topo30/topo30.ers
- Data Conversion: These instructions assume local access to ESRI's ArcGIS software - access to ArcGIS via remote desktop is also available.
Some edits are needed to register this image for use in ArcGIS. These are more to do with Arc interaction with ER Mapper files than the original dataset which works as is in other GIS platforms (eg QGIS).
To correctly register this image in ArcGIS 9.2, edits are needed in the *.ERS header file. This can be edited with any text editor.Change the entries for "RegistrationCellX" from 1 to 0 and "RegistrationCellY" from 1 to 0. Also change "Latitude" from 90 to 89.9958334 and "Longitude" from 0 to 0.00416665.