HYCOM model output
Global HYCOM + NCODA Hindcast data
- Metadata: http://hycom.coaps.fsu.edu/data/glb_analysis.html
- Spatial Resolution: ~7.5 km
- Extent: Global
- Temporal Resolution: daily
- Date Range: 2003-2009
- Format(s): NetCDF, KML (via LAS)
Methods: OpenDAP, FTP, LAS
- CoML visualization guidance: TBD
Use Live Access Server (LAS) to select a region of interest and export surface temperature to KML or download a NetCDF to visualize in ArcGIS.
- Data Download: http://hycom.coaps.fsu.edu/las/getUI.do?catid=hycom_glb_analysis&varid=temperature
- Data Conversion: These instructions assume local access to ESRI's ArcGIS software - access to ArcGIS via remote desktop is also available.
- Select a region of interest by clicking an dragging on the map. The map updates to refelct this region.
- Select a date of interest and depth of interest via dropdown boxes in the lower left.
- Check the "Regrid Curvilinear to Rectangular" checkbox and select the output resolution from the dropdown below.
- Click the "Update Plot" button at the top to update the date, depth and resampling choices.
- After the map renders, check the map to see confirm date, depth, and resampling choices labeled on the map. Click the Google Earth button and confirm some viewing preferences to view in Google Earth. Or select a download format (netCDF here) in the upper right dropdown and click download. Click OK to confirm default output options and then click on the generated netCDF link to download the file.
- In ArcGIS toolbox, open the MultiDimension Toolbar -> Make NetCDF raster layer tool. Select the exported NetCDF file as an input.
- Pick TEMPERATURE_REGRID from the "variable" dropdown. Pick X and Y Dimensions (options will look like XAX5110_6165 or YAX823_1674, the numbers are pixel coordinates of the region of interest).
- Create a name for the Output Raster Layer. Select "MT" (meters) for the optional Band Dimension. Click OK to run the tool.
- A raster version of the netCDF is then displayed. To convert to raster, right click on the netCDF raster and click Data -> Export data. An windows of export path and format options appears. Click OK after selecting output name, path, and format options.
Full model solution netCDF files by variable w/ multiple depths and 2d w/multiple variables can also be downloaded and converted using the same conversion method. http://hycom.coaps.fsu.edu/datasets/hycom/global/glb_analysis/data/